Proposal Submission Guidelines
The campus conference will take place on Friday, November 3, 2017, in accordance with Homecoming weekend.
Centered on illustrative examples of Cal Poly’s Learn by Doing approach in enhancing both academic and campus life, the conference will include a poster gallery session and 50-minute oral presentations.
All current Cal Poly faculty and staff, individually or in teams, as well as students working with a faculty/staff mentor are invited to submit conference presentation proposals. Proposals should fit into one of the following three categories: Active Learning in the Classroom or a Campus Setting, Student Engagement in Research, and Interactions in the Field. Click here for the more detailed Call for Proposals.
Proposals must be submitted for review by 5:00 pm on September 18, 2017.
Proposal Submission Format
Please send a PDF version of your proposal to email@example.com and include the following required information:
Name(s) *List every participant included in the proposal, including paper presenters, roundtable presenters, poster designers, and discussants:
Title of the poster or presentation:
The category in which your proposal best fits:
- Active Learning in the Classroom or a Campus Setting
- Student Engagement in Research
- Interactions in the Field
A description of the Learn by Doing experience you want to showcase. Provide a detailed explanation of the Learn by Doing experience, one that would be clear and understandable to a reader outside your department or unit. As well, please address the following: (Limit 1300 words)
- Focus/Purpose: What is the focus of your session and what relevant Learn by Doing objectives were associated with the experience(s) you intend to highlight?
- Timeframe: When did you conduct this Learn by Doing experience, and, if applicable, when do you plan to do this again?
- Process: How did you go about facilitating this experience?
- Outcomes: What was the intended end product or outcome of the experience?
- Assessment: How/did you directly or indirectly measure the effectiveness of this experience?
- Challenges: What was challenging about designing/facilitating the experience, and how did you overcome such challenges?
- Significance: How was the experience meaningful to you, students and/or stakeholders?
Session plan. Conference presenters will design and deliver an innovative poster OR 50-minute session that highlights the unique ways in which Learn by Doing is enacted at Cal Poly. Please indicate how you plan to engage conference participants in this session. First, please specify whether you intend to design a poster or host a 50-minute session about the experience. Then, please explain how participants will engage during the session (i.e., in question and answer, small group, or round table discussion opportunities; in a multimedia format with time for reflection by and discussion with participants--various modes of visual presentation are encouraged). (Limit 200 words)
Note: Please indicate whether or not you’d be willing and able to host conference attendees on that Friday afternoon for an interactive presentation "in the field" at your unit, in your lab, in your project space, etc.
Submission Deadline: Proposals must be submitted for review by 5:00 pm on September 18, 2017.